The goal of a face lift, also known as a rhytidectomy, is to restore a youthful, well-rested appearance without changing the natural definition and features of your face.
As you age, excess sun exposure, stress, age, weight loss, and other environmental factors can result in sagging skin in the area around the chin and neck.
• The ProcedureA rhytidectomy removes excess skin, muscles, or fat around the chin and neck. With a traditional facelift, incisions are made along the hairline and temple, around the ear, and end in the lower scalp. Fat may be redistributed while underlying tissue is repositioned. Incision lines will be nicely concealed within the hairline and natural contours of the face. This procedure generally takes about 3 hours and can improve visible signs of aging that include:
- Deep creases along the nose that extend to the corner of the mouth
- Loss of muscle tone in the mid or lower face
- Loose skin under the chin and jaw
• Ideal CandidateYou should be an adult in good general health, preferably a non-smoker. Patients undergoing this procedure should have realistic expectations for the results after surgery and be ready to maintain a healthy lifestyle and follow the medical team’s instructions for recovery and beyond.
- Minimal pain and discomfort
- Stitches are removed within 1 week
- Swelling and discoloration subsides within 2 weeks
- Resume normal activities within 10-14 days
- Resume exercise and strenuous activities in 2-3 weeks