Many factors can affect the severity of a scar, including the size and depth of the wound, blood supply to the area, thickness and color of your skin, and the direction of the scar.
Scar revision is a surgical procedure that is used to improve or reduce the appearance of scars and can also restore function and correct disfigurement caused by an injury, wound, or previous surgery.
Although a scar cannot be completely removed, our team at Lexington Plastic Surgeons can improve the appearance of a scar by making it less noticeable.
Akila’s Story • Keloid TreatmentSuccess Story
• The ProcedureThere are several treatment options, which vary based on the type and degree of scarring. Z-Plasty, our recommended procedure for most patients due to its effectiveness, is a surgical technique that repositions the scar to closely conform to the natural lines and creases of your skin, making it less noticeable. Our board-certified plastic surgeons will help determine which procedure is best for you.
• Ideal CandidateYou should be in good general health, preferably a non-smoker. Patients undergoing this procedure should have realistic expectations for the results after surgery and be ready to maintain a healthy lifestyle and follow the medical team’s instructions for recovery and beyond.
- Temporary discoloration or discomfort will occur the first 2 weeks
- Healing is expected to continue for several weeks
- Dressing may be removed after 1-2 weeks post-surgery
- Minimal activity is advised post-surgery
- Use of scar products (Keloid Care, Scarshield) and massages to affected area(s) are essential for individuals prone to thickened or keloid scars